Nashville Scene, by Steven Hale, May 1, 2014 - After Mayor Karl Dean announced various pieces of it in his State of Metro address yesterday, Finance Director Rich Riebeling briefed Metro Council members on the administration's budget proposal.My Comment: This is a good article. The five things are these:
The $1.89 billion budget proposal is $79 million larger than the current fiscal year's, representing a 4.37 percent increase. It does not include a property tax increase.
Here are five things to know: (link)
- Reserves: we are dipping into them.
- Debt Service: we will pay down some of the debt.
- Schools: They get more; they get most of the money.
- Employee salaries and benefits: More money including same-sex partner benefits.
- Capital Spending: more spending including $15 million for sidewalks.