The fallout from the saga of the Jeremy Durham affair continues as some legislators try to use the scandal to gain advantage in an attempt to overthrow Beth Harwell and Democrats milk it for all it is worth to weaken Republicans. My view is that they better be careful. While, what Durham did was inappropriate, I suspect that not all of his "victims" were victims. I have no insider knowledge, but knowing human nature, I suspect there were some willing victims. Just as there are powerful men who take advantage of women beneath them in rank, there are lots of women who throw themselves at powerful men. This could get more messy as the identity of Durham's victims and unnamed accusers becomes known. Durham once threatened to reveal the identity of his victims but did not do so.
The latest in this continuing saga is that Representative Mary Littleton is accused of covering up Durhams' behavior and that when a staffer complained to Littleton of inappropriate conduct on the part of Durham, Littleton fired the staffer. Since all firings have to go through Beth Harwell, there is an assumption that Beth Harwell would have had to go along with firing of Littleton's staffer and therefore was complicit in the coverup and protecting of Durham.
The Attorney General's report that detailed Durham's inappropriate conduct that let to his ouster, listed Durham's victims as "Jane Doe's," protecting their identity. The report also protected the identify of State legislator whom they quote or reference in the report. Today the Nashville Scene has revealed the identity of the legislators referenced in the report.
Here is the list as published by The Scene:
- Rep. John Doe 13 is Glen Casada, R-Franklin, (chair of House Republican Caucus who is, if reelected, will run for the House Leader; opposed by D Courtenay Rogers)
- Rep. John Doe 23 is Tilman Goins, R-Morristown (unopposed)
- Rep. Jane Doe 25 is Beth Harwell (opposed by D Chris Moth)
- Rep. Jane Doe 33 is Mary Littleton, R-Dickson (opposed by D Travis Staten)
- Rep. John Doe 37 is Pat Marsh, R-Shelbyville (opposed by D Sharon Kay Edwards)
- Rep. John Doe 42 is Gerald McCormick, R-Chattanooga (current House Majority Leader, unopposed and stepping down from leadership next session)
- Rep. John Doe 55 is Charles Sargent, R-Franklin (unopposed)
- Rep. Jane Doe 65 is Dawn White, R-Eagleville (opposed by D Becky Goff of Murfreesboro)
- Rep. John Doe 68 is Ryan Williams, R-Cookeville (opposed by D Amos Scott Powers)
- Rep. John Doe 69 is Tim Wirgau, R-Buchanan (opposed by D Daniel Powell and I James Hart)
To read the Attorney Generals report, follow this link. For background on the controversy, follow this link, this link, and this link.
I am waiting for a list identifying Durham's victims. I am sure someone could figure it out.